HCD recognizes the tremendous need for affordable housing in California and considers the following recent accomplishments a positive step in the right direction.
Grants and Funding
- Awarded 195 grants and loans totaling more than $287 million, projected to:
- Preserve 3,736 homes and apartments.
- Create 2,742 new homes and apartments.
- Create or rehabilitate 1,880 migrant farmworker rental homes.
- Rehabilitate 696 substandard homes and apartments.
- Provided $1 million in loan extensions to troubled developments to preserve much-needed affordable homes and apartments.
- Developed financial workout arrangements to preserve 13 affordable, rental housing developments that had fallen into financial difficulty and needed new arrangements to ensure they remained affordable.
Learn more about the work HCD does on Grants and Funding.
Manufactured Homes and Mobilehomes
- Conducted 26,153 inspections and complaint investigations of mobilehome parks, mobilehomes, and manufactured homes in California.
- Registered and/or titled 45,470 mobilehomes.
- Served 23,273 walk-in customers.
- Increased public safety in 57 mobilehome parks by inspecting the conversion to public utility service.
- Created more efficient customer call center.
Learn more about the work HCD does related to Manufactured Homes and Mobilehomes.
Building Codes and Standards
- Completed a three-year, code adoption process to amend standards for construction of new homes and apartments, as well as hotels, and motels in California
- Completed two emergency rulemaking efforts to assist with drought mitigation.
Learn more about the work HCD does related to Building Standards.
Planning and Community Development
- Reviewed 508 city/county housing plans ("housing elements") for compliance with state housing law.
- Completed nearly a dozen listening sessions through the Housing Element Technical Advisory group, reaching consensus on several administrative improvements.
Learn more about the work HCD does on Planning and Community Development.
Policy and Research
- Produced the draft 2025 Statewide Housing Assessment for release in FY 2016-17.
- Served as the lead in new land-use and community-development sector of Safeguarding California, California's climate adaptation strategy.
- Redesigned California's Emergency Solutions Grant program to better align with the federal Homelessness Emergency Assistance and Transition to Housing Act.
- Applied for and awarded $70.3 million in HUD funds to implement the Community and Watershed Resilience Program in Tuolumne County following the devastating Rim Fire.
Learn more about the work HCD does on Policy and Research.