Modifying a Mobilehome: Manufactured or Mobilehome Alteration, Permit Requirements, and Inspections
Before beginning any work on your manufactured home or mobilehome, these permit application (PDF) to apply for a permit.
The Department must review and approve plans and specifications for the alteration or conversion of manufactured homes, multi-unit manufactured homes, commercial modulars, and special purpose commercial modulars. Department employees perform on-site inspections of alterations and conversions to the structural, fire safety, plumbing, mechanical, and electrical systems of regulated units.
To review all requirements for submission of the listed forms or plans and their associated fees please review the appropriate section of the Mobilehome Parks and Installations regulations or Special Occupancy Parks regulations .
These plans and specifications have been preapproved by the Department. They are valid for the purpose of obtaining a construction permit when the design loads and allowable soil conditions specified in the plans are consistent with the requirements for the locality. Any alteration to a plan without Department approval will render the plan invalid.
- Private Ramps on a Lot (PDF)
- Porch/Deck (PDF)
- Wood Carport/Awning (PDF)
- Mobilehome Park Awning Enclosure (PDF)
- RV Park Awning Enclosure (PDF)
- Cabana Construction Checklist (PDF)
- California Residential Code Ignition Resistant Exterior Codes (PDF)
- Stairway Detail (PDF)
- Eave Extension (PDF)
- Embankments and Slopes (PDF)
Fees will be charged for these preliminary plan check meetings as a technical service fee ($196.00 per hour, $196.00 minimum).
- Permit to Construct Application — HCD 50 (PDF)
- Earthquake Resistant Bracing System (ERBS) installation application — HCD 50 ERBS (PDF)
- School Impact Fee Certification — HCD 502 (PDF)
- Alternate Approval Application — HCD 511 (PDF)
- Standard Plan Approval Application — HCD 520 (PDF)
- Fire Hydrant Test and Certification Report — HCD 532 (PDF)
- Plot Plan — HCD 538 (PDF)
- Flood Plain Ordinance Compliance Certification for Manufactured Home
- Installations — HCD 547 (PDF)
- Permit To Operate HCD 500 (PDF)
- 415 - Manufactured Housing Permit Application (PDF)
- 416 - Application for Replacement Insignia (DOC) or ( PDF)
- 416 - Application for Replacement Insignia (Spanish) (PDF)
- 425 - Insignia Affix Instructions (PDF)
- 425 - Insignia Affix Instructions (Spanish) (PDF)
- 433A - Notice of MH, CM Installation on a Foundation System (HSC 18551) (PDF)
- 433B - Notice to Assessor (PDF)
- 433C -Notice of MH Conversion Fixture Improvements to Real Property (PDF)
- 440 - Request for Insignia by QAA (PDF)
- 527 – Manufactured Housing Electrical Load Worksheet (PDF)
- 604 - Manufactured Home Alterations and Permit Guidelines (PDF)
Ombudsman Request for Assistance (Complaint Forms)
- on-linerequest (requires Internet Explorer version 5.X or greater)
- interactive complaint form (JSP)
- Application for State Benefits (PDF)
Permits & Inspections
If any of the following changes have been performed without a valid permit, you are encouraged to obtain a permit prior to the Department's park inspection in order to avoid possible penalties:
Installation, construction, or alteration of:
- Any building, structure, or accessory building;
- Any electrical, mechanical, or plumbing equipment;
- Any fuel gas equipment;
- Any fire protection equipment within the unit.
- Any alteration to a mobilehome unit requires a permit from the Department of Housing and Community Development.
Any alteration to an mobilehome unit requires a permit from the Department of Housing and Community Development.
Check Information Bulletins frequently for additional information pertaining to modifying a manufactured/mobilehome.