Modifying a Mobilehome or Manufactured Home:
Alteration, Permit Requirements, and Inspections
Before beginning any work on your mobilehome, manufactured home, commercial modular, special purpose commercial modular or multifamily manufactured home you must submit an application for a permit (form HCD 415).
The Department must review and approve plans and specifications for the alteration or conversion of manufactured homes, multifamily manufactured homes, commercial modulars, and special purpose commercial modulars. Department employees perform on-site inspections of alterations and conversions to the structural, fire safety, plumbing, mechanical, and electrical systems of regulated units.
To review all requirements for submission of the listed forms or plans and their associated fees please review the appropriate section of the Mobilehome Parks and Installations regulations or Special Occupancy Parks regulations .
These plans and specifications have been preapproved by the Department. They are valid for the purpose of obtaining a construction permit when the design loads and allowable soil conditions specified in the plans are consistent with the requirements for the locality. Any alteration to a plan without Department approval will render the plan invalid.
- Private Ramps on a Lot (PDF)
- Porch/Deck (PDF)
- Wood Carport/Awning (PDF)
- Mobilehome Park Awning Enclosure (PDF)
- RV Park Awning Enclosure (PDF)
- Cabana Construction Checklist (PDF)
- California Residential Code Ignition Resistant Exterior Codes (PDF)
- Stairway Detail (PDF)
- Eave Extension (PDF)
- Embankments and Slopes (PDF)
Fees will be charged for these preliminary plan check meetings as a technical service fee ($196.00 per hour, $196.00 minimum).
- Permit to Construct Application - HCD 50 (PDF)
- Earthquake Resistant Bracing System (ERBS) installation application - HCD 50 ERBS (PDF)
- School Impact Fee Certification - HCD MP 502 (PDF)
- Alternate Approval Application - HCD 511 (PDF)
- Standard Plan Approval Application - HCD 520 (PDF)
- Fire Hydrant Test and Certification Report - HCD MP 532 (PDF)
- Plot Plan - HCD 538 (PDF)
- Flood Plain Ordinance Compliance Certification for Manufactured Home Installations - HCD 547 (PDF)
- Permit To Operate - HCD 500 (PDF)
- Manufactured Housing Permit Application - HCD 415 (PDF)
- Application for Replacement Insignia - HCD 416 (DOC) or (PDF)
- Application for Replacement Insignia (Spanish) - HCD 416 Spanish (PDF)
- Insignia Affix Instructions - HCD-MH 425 (PDF)
- Insignia Affix Instructions (Spanish) - HCD-MH 425 Spanish (PDF)
- Notice of MH, CM Installation on a Foundation System - HCD 433A (PDF)
- Notice to Assessor - HCD 433B (PDF)
- Notice of MH Conversion Fixture Improvements to Real Property - HCD 433C (PDF)
- Request for Insignia by QAA - HCD MH 440 (PDF)
- Manufactured Housing Electrical Load Worksheet - HCD-MH 527 (PDF)
- Manufactured Home Alterations and Permit Guidelines - HCD MH 604 (PDF)
Mobilehome Assistance Center (Complaint Forms)
Permits & Inspections
If any of the following changes have been performed without a valid permit and those changes meet the permit requirements on form HCD MH 604, you are encouraged to obtain a permit prior to the Department's inspection in order to avoid possible penalties:
Installation, construction, or alteration of:
- Any mobilehome, building, structure, or accessory building;
- Any electrical, mechanical, or plumbing equipment;
- Any fuel gas equipment;
- Any fire protection equipment within the unit.
Check Information Bulletins frequently for additional information pertaining to modifying a manufactured home/mobilehome.