Homeless Coordinating and Financing Council
There is a severe human and fiscal cost of homelessness in California. That is precisely why SB 1380 (Chapter 847, Statutes of 2016) became law in 2017. SB 1380 tasks the State to identify all programs that provide housing or housing-related services to people experiencing homelessness, or at-risk of homelessness, and implement them using a “Housing First” policy.
In order to help accomplish this task, SB 1380 also establishes the creation of a Homeless Coordinating and Financing Council to oversee the implementation of the Housing First guidelines and regulations and to identify resources, benefits, and services to prevent, and end, homelessness in California. SB 1380 explicitly directs the Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD) to provide staff for the Council, and that the Council shall meet quarterly.
The legislation also stipulates that by July 1, 2019, agencies and departments administering State programs in existence prior to July 1, 2017, shall collaborate with the Council to revise or adopt guidelines and regulations that incorporate the core components of Housing First, if the existing guidelines and regulations do not already incorporate the core components of Housing First.
The composition of the Council includes up to 15 appointments by the Governor, one stakeholder appointed by the Senate Committee on Rules, and one stakeholder appointed by Speaker of the Assembly.
The Council may also invite stakeholders, individuals who have experienced homelessness, members of philanthropic communities, and experts to participate in meetings, or provide information to the Council as needed.
Council Meeting Schedule
2018 Meeting Schedule (PDF)
New! January 10, 2018 Council Meeting:
- 1/10/18 Draft Council Minutes (PDF)
- 1/10/18 Meeting Announcement (PDF)
- 1/10/18 Agenda (PDF)
- 1/10/18 Staff Report (PDF)
December 14, 2017 Governance Subcommittee Meeting:
October 10, 2017 Council Meeting:
- 10/10/17 Council Minutes (PDF)
- 10/10/17 Meeting Announcement (PDF)
- 10/10/17 Agenda (PDF)
- 10/10/17 Attachments
|A representative from the Department of Housing and Community Development||Ben Metcalf||Director|
|A representative of the State Department of Social Services||Alicia Sutton||Chief of the Housing, Homelessness and Civil Rights Branch|
|A representative of the California Housing Finance Agency||Donald Cavier||Chief Deputy Director|
|A representative of the State Department of Health Care Services||Marianne Cantwell||Chief Deputy Director of Health Care Programs|
|A representative of the Department of Veterans Affairs||Russell Atterberry||Undersecretary|
|A representative of the Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation||Stephanie Welch||Executive Officer, Council on Criminal Justice and Behavioral Health|
|A representative from the California Tax Credit Allocation Committee in the Treasurer’s office||Mark Stivers||Executive Director|
|A representative from the Governement Office of Emergency Services||Gina Buccieri-Harrington||Assistant Director of Grants Management|
|A formerly homeless person who lives in California||Gary McCoy||San Francisco Recreation and Parks Department|
|Two representatives of local agencies or organizations that participate in the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development’s Continuum of Care Program||Jody Ketcheside||Deputy Regional Director, Turning Point of Central California Inc.|
|Up to four additional state advocates or other members of the public or state agencies, according to the Governor’s discretion||Gail Gilman||Chief Executive Officer at the Community Housing Partnership|
|Emilio Ramirez||Deputy Director of Community and Economic Development in the City of Riverside|
|Joseph Uchishiba||Police officer for the City of Fairfield Police|
|The Senate Committee on Rules-Stakeholder Organization Representative||Jennifer Loving||Executive Director, Destination: Home|
|Speaker of the Assembly-Stakeholder Organization Representative||Amy Anderson||Executive Director, PATH Ventures|
- California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation
- California Department of Health Care Services
- California Department of Social Services
- California Department of Veteran Affairs
- California Housing Finance Agency
- California Tax Credit Allocation Committee
- Community and Economic Development Department, City of Riverside
- Community Housing Partnership
- Destination: HOME
- Governor's Office of Emergency Services/Victim Services Program
- PATH Ventures
- Turning Point of Central California
- U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
- Housing First Assessment Tool - Helps communities measure how well projects are aligned with Housing First principles.
- Notice CPD-17-08 - 2018 HIC and PIT Data Collection for CoC and ESG Programs
- Using a Housing First Philosophy When Serving Youth – An overview of the philosophy and how it applies to youth-serving projects.
- USICH Opening Doors – Federal Strategic Plan to Prevent and End Homelessness