Streamlined Multifamily Housing Application Implementation (AB 434)
A One-Stop Shop for Affordable Housing Developers
The California Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD), is working to make our multifamily housing program funds accessible to more developers and communities, more equitable in serving the lowest-income Californians, and more targeted to the right places to achieve better outcomes in health, climate, and household stability.
Streamlining the implementation of state funding resources is an important first step in changing the way HCD and our partners do business to better serve Californians in need of affordable homes.
Assembly Bill 434 (Chapter 192, Statutes 2020) streamlines six of HCD’s rental housing programs to align eligibility criteria, scoring and release of funds allowing for coordinated and concurrent single application and award process.• Multifamily Housing Program (MHP)
• Veteran Housing and Homeless Prevention Program (VHHP)
• Joe Serna Jr. Farmworker Housing Grant Program (Serna)
• Transit-Oriented Development Program (TOD)
• Infill Infrastructure Grant Program (IIG)
• Housing for Healthy California Program (HHC)
AB 434 goals include furthering state policy objectives of equity, aligning with the state Tax Credit and Bond Allocation programs and providing consistent definitions, thresholds, and scoring for programs.
- New! AB 434 Guidelines Summary Memo (PDF)
- New! Draft 2022 MHP Guidelines (DOC)
- New! Draft 2022 Consolidated Scoring Appendix (DOC)
- New! Draft 2022 IIG Guidelines (DOC)
- New! Draft 2022 Serna Guidelines (DOC)
- New! Draft 2022 VHHP Guidelines (DOC)
Help shape these guidelines - Submit comments on our Public Comment Form .
Public comment period ends: January 10, 2022 at 5:00 p.m.
Engagement and Education
HCD will host a series of webinars to present the key changes in the 2022 Draft Guidelines and Scoring Appendix, receive feedback, and answer questions.
AB 434 Draft Guidelines – Informational Webinar, December 16, 2021 Register Here .
AB 434 Draft Guidelines – Office Hours/Q&A Sessions, December 21, 2021 Register Here .
AB 434 Draft Guidelines – BIPOC & Emerging Developer Session with Q&A, December 20, 2021 Register Here .
AB 434 Draft Guidelines – Tribal Session with Q&A, December 22, 2021 Register Here .