Community Development Block Program (CDBG)
- Assistance Type
- Eligible Applicants and Activities
- Advisory Committee
- CDBG Programs
- CDBG Program Redesign
- Guidelines and Regulations
- Get Funding — Current Notice of Funding Availability (NOFA)
- Workshop Dates and Locations
- Map of Grants Management Representatives (by County)
- Program Forms
- Management Memos
- Training and Technical Assistance
CDBG Partners with rural cities and counties to improve the lives of their low- and moderate-income residents through the creation and expansion of community and economic development opportunities in support of livable communities.
HUD Objective: The primary federal objective of the CDBG program is the development of viable urban communities by providing decent housing and a suitable living environment and through expanding economic opportunities, principally, for persons of low- and moderate-income. “Persons of low and moderate income” are defined as families, households, and individuals whose incomes do not exceed 80 percent of the county median income, adjusted for family or household size.
CDBG funds are provided as grants to non-entitlement jurisdictions. Grants can vary based on annual allocations and activity limits. Must address one of three national objectives:
- Benefit to low- and moderate-income persons
- Aid in the prevention or elimination of slums and blight, or
- To meet an urgent need
Planning and Technical Assistance Grants (PTA) are available through the annual Notice of Funding Availability (NOFA).
Non-entitlement jurisdictions [cities with populations under 50,000 and counties with populations under 200,000 in unincorporated areas that do not participate in the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) CDBG entitlement program]; non-federally recognized Native American communities; and, Colonia as defined by the National Affordable Housing Act of 1990.
Community Development (CD)
- Includes single- and multi-family rehabilitation, rental housing acquisition or homeownership assistance, and activities that support new housing construction.
- Includes water and wastewater systems, and rural utilities such as gas and electric services.
- Includes day care centers, domestic violence shelters, food banks, community centers, medical and dental facilities, and fire stations.
- Includes staff and operating costs associated with the community facilities.
Planning and Technical Assistance (PTA)
- Includes studies and plans for housing, public works, and community facilities that meet CDBG national objectives and provide principal benefit to low-income persons.
- Housing and housing-related activities.
- Water, sewer, and housing.
- Housing, including single- and multi-family rehabilitation, rental housing acquisition or homeownership assistance, and activities that support new housing construction.
Economic Development (ED)
- Grants for loans to businesses for working capital, land acquisition, equipment purchase, inventory purchase, debt restructuring, and other direct assistance. Grants to support businesses by providing water and sewer services, access roads, and other public facilities. Microenterprise funds may provide credit, general support (e.g., childcare, transportation), or technical assistance for persons developing microenterprises.
Planning and Technical Assistance (PTA)
- Studies and plans for economic development activities that meet CDBG national objectives and provide principal benefit to low-income persons.
- Grants for the creation or retention of jobs for low-income workers. May include loans or loan guarantees to businesses for construction, on-site improvements, equipment purchase, working capital, and site acquisition. May also include loans for business start-ups, grants for publicly-owned infrastructure, and loans or grants for small business incubators.
CDBG-CV Round 1 (CARES Act Funding)
- CDBG-CV Round 1 (CARES Act Funding) Frequently Asked Questions (PDF)
- HCD Office Hours Recording (YouTube) - May 19, 2020
The role of the CDBG Advisory Committee is to provide input and recommendations to the Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD) on the CDBG Program that are consistent with federal requirements and result in good policies, procedures and regulations designed to benefit low- to moderate-income individuals residing in non-entitlement communities of California.
The CDBG Advisory Committee Charter is currently under review and development.
CDBG Advisory Committee Members
This process is currently under development as part of the Advisory Committee Charter review and development.
|No Agendas at this time.|
- Community Development
- Native American
- Planning and Technical Assistance
- Over-the-Counter (OTC)
- Enterprise Fund
- Business Assistance
- Microenterprise Assistance
- Planning and Technical Assistance
Since the passage of California Senate Bill 106 in July 2017, the Department of Housing and Community Development has commenced efforts to redesign the CDBG Program for non-entitlement jurisdictions.
To share any feedback or for any additional information, contact HCD at email@example.com.
Guidelines and Regulations
- 2019 Final Guidelines (PDF) — Most current state regulations.
- 2016 Federal Regulations — Most current federal regulations.
HCD releases a Notice of Funding Availability (NOFA) that includes all CDBG-eligible activities.
Application due date: Date varies by CDBG program, please reference the 2019-20 CDBG NOFA. Please be sure you are subscribed to the CDBG emailing list to receive notifications and announcements.
** Please note - As of 07/24/20 a total of $73,810,399 in Community Development OTC applications have been received of the $23 million available in funding. While we continue to accept applications through the September 30, 2020 Community Development OTC deadline, applications are being reviewed and funded in order received.
2019-20 CDBG NOFA (PDF)
2019-20 Over the Counter (OTC) Applications Received (PDF) (Updated as of 07/24/2020)
2019-20 Application must be accessed through the eCivis portal - Programs Available for Solicitation page
New! Coming Soon - CDBG-CV1 NOFA Amendment #2
The amendment will extend the application deadline only to jurisdictions contemplating use of federal funds for properties purchased with Homekey funds from: September 21, 2020 to February 1, 2021.
New! CDBG-CV1 NOFA Amendment #1 (PDF)
CDBG-CV1 NOFA (PDF) Notice of Funding Availability for CDBG Coronavirus Response Round 1 funding as authorized by the CARES Act.
CDBG-CV1 Application must be accessed through the eCivis portal - Programs Available for Solicitation page NOFA application documentation is included on the “Files” tab of the application solicitation. Please review the files for additional instructions and resources to assist in preparing applications.
Workshop Dates and Locations
There are no workshops available at this time.
- New! October 2020 (PDF)
CDBG Annual Performance Reports (APR Forms)
APR Help Tools
- Matrix (YouTube)
- Attachment A: Program Income Report (YouTube)
- Attachment B: MBE/WBE (YouTube)
- Attachment C: Public Service and TA (YouTube)
- Attachment D: Relocation and Real Property Acquisition (YouTube)
- Attachment E: Demographic Analysis Report (YouTube)
- Attachment F: Section 3 Summary Report (YouTube)
- Attachment B: MBE/WBE (DOC)
- CDBG Funds Request Form - Activities (XLS) - Revised 5/2016
- CDBG Funds Request Form - GA (XLS) - Revised 5/2016
- CDBG Signature Card (DOC) - Revised October 2013
- Payee Data Record (PDF)
Labor Standards Reporting
- Appointment of Labor Standards Compliance Officer (PDF)
- Force Account (DOC)
- HUD 4230A Report of Additional Classification and Rate with Instructions (DOC)
- Notice of Award/Pre-Construction Conference/Starte of Construction/Notice of Completion (DOC)
- Semi-Annual Labor Standards Enforcement Report
Program Income (PI)
Program Income Semi-Annual Reports
Housing Program Guidelines
- New! Housing Rehabilitation Program Guidelines (DOC)
Training and Technical Assistance
2019 CDBG Training
eCivis Grant Management System Training
- New! NEPA Review & Readiness Presentation Slides (PDF)
- New! NEPA Review & Readiness Webinar (YouTube)
- New! CDBG Program Procurement and Readiness Presentation Slides (PDF)
- New! CDBG Program Procurement and Readiness Webinar (YouTube)
- New! eCivis Grants Management System, External User Manual (PDF)
- New! eCivis Grants Management System, External User Webinar (YouTube)
- New! How to do an Income Survey Presentation Slides (PDF)
- New! How to do an Income Survey webinar (YouTube)
- New! How to create a Budget in Grants Management System (YouTube) , Presentation (PDF)
- New! How to develop Tasks and Deliverables in Grants Management System (YouTube) , Presentation (PDF)
- New! Mapping and Determining CDBG Beneficiaries for Low and Moderate Income Areas (YouTube) , Presentation (PDF)
- CDBG 101 (PDF)
- CDBG 101 Video (YouTube) (Currently Live CDBG Training Part 1)
- CDBG Redesign (PDF)
- CDBG Redesign Video (YouTube) (Currently Live CDBG Training Part 2)
- CDBG Program Income (PDF)
- CDBG Program Income Video (YouTube) (Currently Live CDBG Training Part 3)
- 2020 NOFA Workshop Part 1 (YouTube)
- 2020 NOFA Workshop Part 2 (YouTube)
- 2020 NOFA Workshop Part 3 (YouTube)
- 2020 NOFA Presentation (PDF)