Joe Serna Jr., Farmworker Housing Grant Program (FWHG)
- Assistance Type and Terms
- Eligible Activities and Applicants
- Get Funding — Current Notice of Funding Availability (NOFA)
- Previous Notices of Funding Availability (NOFAs)
- Reporting Requirements (Asset Management and Compliance)
- Program Forms
- Management Memos
- Training and Technical Assistance
Finance the new construction, rehabilitation, and acquisition of owner-occupied and rental units for agricultural workers, with a priority for lower income households.
Deferred-payment loans for multifamily housing new construction or rehabilitation and grants for single-family new construction or owner-occupied rehabilitation programs.
New Construction or Rehabilitation Loans: Lien restrictions for assisted units are required for 55 years. Loans may be made in conjunction with low-income tax credit financing. New Construction or Rehabilitation Grants (Forgivable Loans): Lien restrictions for assisted units are required for up to 55 years. Grants (Forgivable Loans) may be made in conjunction with low-income tax credit financing.
Single Family/Owner Occupied
Homeowner Grants: For rehabilitation or new home construction, lien restrictions are required for 20 years. If the unit is sold to a non-farmworker buyer before completing the 10th year, the full grant amount must be repaid under most circumstances. Between the 10th and 20th anniversaries, the grant is forgiven at a rate of 10 percent per completed year. The grant is fully forgiven after completing 20 years.
Activities incurring costs in the development of homeowner or rental housing for agricultural workers, including land acquisition, site development, construction, rehabilitation, design services, operating and replacement reserves, repayment of predevelopment loans, provision of access for the elderly or disabled, relocation, homeowner counseling, and other reasonable and necessary costs.
Local government agencies, nonprofit corporations, cooperative housing corporations, limited partnerships where all the general partners are nonprofit mutual or public benefit corporations, and federally-recognized Indian tribes.
(Multifamily/Rental) Eligible beneficiaries of the funds are households who derive, or prior to retirement or disability derived, 50% or more of the combined household income from agricultural employment.
(Single Family/Homeowner) Eligible beneficiaries of the funds are households with at least one person who derives, or prior to retirement or disability derived, a substantial portion of his or her income from agricultural employment.
Program Statute and Regulations
- Statute (DOC)
- Regulations (PDF)
- Uniform Multifamily Regulations (for projects funded after 11/15/2017)
- AB 702 changes definition of “Agricultural Worker” in Health and Safety Code Section 50517.5 (g)(1) for Joe Serna, Jr. Farmworker Housing Grant (FWHG) (DOC)
- New! Joe Serna Jr., Farmworker Housing Grant Program Notice of Guidelines (PDF)
Applications are invited by issuance of a Notice of Funding Availability (NOFA), and are received and reviewed on an Over-the-Counter (OTC) basis per the NOFA.
For loan closing forms associated with the FWHG Program, check the Forms section.
Application due date – Over-The-Counter starting February 20, 2020 through May 20, 2020 or until all funds have been exhausted. Please be sure you are subscribed to the Homeownership and/or Multifamily/Infrastructure emailing lists to receive notifications and announcements.
- New! 2019 Joe Serna Jr., Farmworker Housing Grant Program NOFA (PDF)
- New! Single Family Application (XLS)
- New! Supplemental Application (XLS)
- New! Universal Application (XLS)
January 14, 2020
9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Department of Housing and Community Development
2020 West El Camino Ave.
Conference Room 402 A and B
Sacramento, CA 95833
January 16, 2020
9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Department of General Services
3737 Main Street, Suite 207
Riverside, CA 92501
January 22, 2020
9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
City Council Chambers
678 West 18th Street
Merced, CA 95340
January 23, 2020
9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Tynan Village Community Room
323 Front Street, Suite 111
Salinas, CA 93901
There are currently no previous NOFAs available for FWHG.
Reporting Requirements (Asset Management and Compliance)
Upon completed construction of your project and closing of your HCD permanent loan, oversight of your project and loan is transferred to HCD’s “Asset Management and Compliance (AMC)” section.
Visit the Asset Management and Compliance’s Reporting/Compliance page to find:
- Your reporting requirements
- Additional resources
- Who to contact if you have questions
At this time, there are no FWHG general program documents on the website.
Check the list for Publications and Loan Documents pertaining to all NOFAs. See also Management Memos pertaining to the program. Check the Notice of Funding Availability (NOFA) under which your loan was funded for additional information.
Important Notice: The Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD) is providing the following sample loan documents for general information purposes only. The Department reserves the right to make changes to its documents at any time prior to the closing of an individual loan. Final loan documents will be modified to reflect the specific terms and conditions applicable to the particular loan and property.
- Architect's Completion Certificate (New Construction) (DOC)
- Architect's Completion Certificate (Rehabilitation) (DOC)
- Article XXXIV Guidelines (PDF)
- Bond Financing Term Sheet (DOC)
- Certificate of Completion (DOC)
- HCD Closing Checklist (XLS)
- Cost Cert and Financial Reporting Requirements (DOC)
- Cost Cert Sample Form (XLS)
- Designated Payee Authorization Letter (DOC)
- New! Interest Rate Reduction Application Certification (PDF)
- New! Interest Rate Reduction Sponsor Process (PDF)
- Physical Needs Assessment - Fannie Mae Form 4327 (DOC)
- Physical Needs Assessment and Replacement Reserve Study Guidelines (DOC)
- Prevailing Wage Compliance Certificate (DOC)
- Project Construction Sign Requirements (DOC)
- Project Funding Sources (Construction) (XLS)
- Project Funding Sources (Permanent) (XLS)
- Relocation Plan Implementation Certificate (DOC)
- Request For Funds Form (DOC)
- Utility Allowance Determination (DOC)
Training and Technical Assistance
At this time, there are no FWHG Training and Technical resources on the website.