Housing Navigators Program (HNP)
The Housing Navigators Program funds the support of housing navigators to help young adults aged 18 years and up to 21 years secure and maintain housing, with priority given to young adults in the foster care system. The county may use the funding to provide housing navigation services directly or through a contract with other housing assistance programs in the county. It is encouraged that the county coordinate with the local Continuum of Care to foster communication and collaboration.
Allocates approximately $5 million in grants to counties based on each county’s percentage of the total statewide number of young adults aged 18 through 21-year-old in foster care.
Eligible allocation applicants are county child welfare services agencies that demonstrate a need to provide housing for young adults aged 18 to 21 years that are currently in foster care. The allocation excludes Alpine, Mono, and Sierra counties because the calculation did not demonstrate a need for young adults aged 18 to 21 years.
The HNP program funds housing navigators for county child welfare agencies. The role of a housing navigator is to act as a housing specialist to assist young adults with their pursuits of locating available housing and overcoming barriers to locating housing. Housing navigator activities may include, but are not limited to:
- Assist young adults aged 18-21 secure and maintain housing (with priority given to young adults in the state’s foster care system);
- Provide housing case management which include essential services in emergency supports to foster youth;
- Prevent young adults from becoming homeless; and
- Improve coordination of services and linkages to key resources across the community including those from within the child welfare system and the local Continuum of Care.
Annual Report (XLS) - The county must submit a completed annual report each year by July 31 for three years following distribution of HNP program funds for the previous fiscal year (July 1 – June 30). The Annual Reports shall be submitted electronically to HNPSGM@hcd.ca.gov.
- HNP List of Awardees (PDF)