Local Housing Trust Fund (LHTF) Program
- Assistance Type
- Assistance Terms
- Eligible Activities and Applicants
- Guidelines and Regulations
- Get Funding — Current Notice of Funding Availability (NOFA)
- Previous Notices of Funding Availability (NOFAs)
- Reporting Requirements (Asset Management and Compliance)
- Management Memos
- Training and Technical Assistance
Providing matching funds to local and regional housing trust funds dedicated to the creation, rehabilitation, or preservation of affordable housing, transitional housing and emergency shelters.
Matching grants (dollar for dollar) to local housing trust funds that are funded on an ongoing basis from both private and public contributions or public sources. Local funding sources may not otherwise be restricted in use under federal or state law or rules for use in housing programs.
Loans for multifamily rental housing projects require tenant income and rent restrictions imposed through a regulatory agreement for 55 years. When program funds are used to make loans for homeownership projects or units within a homeownership project, the Local Housing Trust is required to record a deed restriction in compliance with Health and Safety Code Section 50843.5(d)(3).
Loans for acquisition, predevelopment expenses and development of affordable rental housing projects, transitional housing projects, emergency shelters and homeownership projects, including down payment assistance to qualified first-time homebuyers, and for rehabilitation of homes owned by income-eligible homeowners. No more than 20 percent of each allocation may assist moderate-income households, and at least 30 percent of each allocation is required to assist extremely low-income households.
A Local or Regional Housing Trust Fund is required to be a public, joint public and private, or charitable nonprofit organization organized under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, which was established by legislation, ordinance, resolution (including nonprofit articles of incorporation), or a public-private partnership organized to receive specific public, or public and private, revenue to address local housing needs. The key characteristic of a Local Housing Trust Fund is that it receives Ongoing Revenues from Dedicated Sources of funding sufficient to permit the Local Housing Trust Fund to comply with the requirements of the Program. Local and Regional Housing Trust Funds must comply with requirements set forth in the regulations and guidelines in order to be eligible to submit an application.
Guidelines and Regulations
- 2020 Final Guidelines (PDF)
- Local Housing Trust Fund Response to Public Comments (PDF)
- 2019 Draft Guidelines (PDF) — 30-Day Public Comment Period extended! Now ends November 21, 2019.
- 2008 LHTF Regulations — Applicable to NOFAs issued up to and including 2014.
Public Hearing Dates
Currently, there are no public hearings scheduled.
Recorded Webinar (YouTube) — from Oct. 29 public hearing Webinar content 23.5 minutes
Applications are invited through the issuance of Notices of Funding Availability (NOFAs).
Application due date: 11:59 p.m. Pacific Standard Time on August 3, 2020. Please be sure you are subscribed to the LHTF emailing list to receive notifications and announcements.
- LHTF NOFA (PDF)
- LHTF Application (XLS)
- Government Agency TIN Form (PDF)
- STD 204 Payee Data Record (PDF)
- Revised LHTF Resolution Template (DOC)
- LHTF Recorded NOFA Webinar (YouTube)
- LHTF NOFA Webinar Presentation Slides (PDF)
- LHTF Questions and Answers (Q&A) (PDF)
- LHTF Applications Received Log and Self-Score (PDF)
- New! 2020 LHTF Program Final Point Score and Awardee List (PDF)
Workshop Dates & Locations
There are currently no webinars at this time.
Annual Report — The Annual Report must submitted each year by July 31 for the term of the contract with HCD. The Annual Reports shall be submitted electronically to LHTFSGM@hcd.ca.gov
At this time, there are no LHTF Management Memos on the website.
Training and Technical Assistance
At this time, there are no LHTF Training and Technical resources on the website.