Multifamily Housing Program (MHP)
- Statutory Funding Set-Asides
- Geographic Distributions
- Assistance Type/Terms
- Eligible Projects/Sponsors
- Guidelines and Regulations
- Get Funding — Current Notice of Funding Availability (NOFA)
- Previous Notices of Funding Availability (NOFAs)
- Reporting Requirements (Asset Management and Compliance)
- Program Forms — Including loan closing documents
- Management Memos
- Training and Technical Assistance
Assist the new construction, rehabilitation and preservation of permanent and transitional rental housing for lower income households.
Senate Bill 3 (Chapter 365, Statues 2017) authorized the Veterans and Affordable Housing Bond Act of 2018 (Proposition 1). This measure was adopted by voters on November 6, 2018. It authorizes the issuance of bonds in the amount of $1.5 billion for the Multifamily Housing Program (MHP).
18.3 percent set-aside for Senior Projects.
To the extent possible, no less than approximately:
- 45 percent for projects in Southern California.
- 30 percent for projects in Northern California.
- 20 percent for projects in Rural areas.
Deferred payment loans:
- Loans have a 55-year term
- 3 percent simple interest on unpaid principal balance, except under certain conditions
- For the first 30 years of the loan term, payments in the amount of 0.42 percent are due annually
- The annual payment for the next 25 years will be set by HCD in year 30, at the minimum necessary to cover HCD monitoring costs
- With the balance of unpaid principal and interest due and payable upon completion of loan term
*MHP funds will be provided for post-construction permanent financing only.
Rental Housing Development:
- New construction
- Conversion of nonresidential structures to rental housing
- Large Family
- Special Needs
- Supportive Housing
- At High Risk
*Projects are not eligible if construction has commenced as of the application date.
Sponsors or their principals must have successfully developed at least one affordable housing project:
- Joint Venture
- Limited Partnership
- Limited Liability Company
- Local Public Entity
- Duly constituted governing body of an Indian reservation or Rancheria, or
- Other legal entity
- Organized on a for-profit, including limited profit, or nonprofit basis
*A Sponsor is an Applicant.
Guidelines and Regulations
AB 434 MHP draft guidelines, the Statement of Reasons, and other updates on the implementation of AB 434 can now be found here: AB 434 webpage
Applications are invited through the issuance of Notices of Funding Availability (NOFAs).
- New! July 2021 MHP NOFA (PDF)
- New! MHP Application (XLS)
- New! July 2021 MHP Notice of Changes (PDF)
- New! July 2021 MHP NOFA Applications Received and Self-Scores (PDF)
- Financial Assistance Application Tool (FAAST)
- Financial Assistance Application Tool (FAAST) Instructions for MHP (PDF)
- New! MHP Round 4 NOFA Q&A’s (PDF)
- New! Sponsor Authorizing Resolution (DOC)
- New! STD 204 Payee Data Record (PDF)
Workshops / Webinars
- New! Round 4 MHP NOFA Workshop w/Closed Captioning (YouTube)
2020 Round 3 NOFA
- Amended July 2020 MHP NOFA (PDF)
- July 2020 MHP NOFA (PDF)
- MHP Application (XLS)
- MHP Round 3 NOFA Applications Received and Self-Scores (PDF)
2020 Round 2 NOFA
- January 2020 MHP NOFA (PDF)
- MHP Universal Application (XLS)
- Sources and Uses Template (XLS)
- MHP Supplemental Application (XLS)
- MHP Round 2 NOFA Applications Received and Self-Scores (PDF)
2019 Round 1 NOFA
- Amended MHP NOFA (PDF) - Revised 08/01/2019
- MHP Universal Application (XLS)
- Supplemental Application (XLS) - Revised 08/08/2019
- Resolution Template (PDF)
- 2019 MHP Workshop Presentation Slides (PDF)
2015 NOFA (06/05/2015)
- 2015 NOFA (PDF) — 06/05/2015
- 2005 MHP Regulations (PDF) — Applicable to 2015 NOFA. Not applicable to Proposition 1 funding.
- 2015 NOFA Workshop (PPT)
- 2015 Income Limits (PDF)
2013 NOFA (02/07/2013)
Reporting Requirements (Asset Management and Compliance)
Upon completed construction of your project and closing of your HCD permanent loan, oversight of your project and loan is transferred to HCD's Asset Management and Compliance (AMC) section.
Visit Asset Management and Compliance to find:
- Your reporting requirements
- Additional resources
- Who to contact if you have questions
MHP Round 3 Standard Agreement Boilerplate
- 2019 Round 1 MHP Final Guidelines – Tracked changes (PDF)
- Revisions to 2019 Round 1 MHP Final Guidelines (PDF) — Made after receipt of public comments.
- Summary of Comments and Responses (PDF)
- 2005 MHP Regulations (PDF) — Applicable to 2013 and 2015 NOFAs. Not applicable to Proposition 1 funding.
NOTE: View sample documents use and liability disclaimer on our Condition of Use page.
MHP Specific Documents
NOTE: These documents may be revised for Proposition 1 funding.
Documents Applicable to all NOFAs
- Architect's Completion Certificate (New Construction) (DOC)
- Architect's Completion Certificate (Rehabilitation) (DOC)
- Article XXXIV Guidelines (PDF)
- Bond Financing Term Sheet (DOC)
- Certificate of Completion (DOC)
- Closing Checklist (XLS)
- Cost Cert and Financial Reporting Requirements (DOC)
- Cost Cert Sample Form (XLS)
- Designated Payee Authorization Letter (DOC)
- Insurance Guidelines Checklist (DOC)
- Interest Rate Reduction Application Certification (PDF)
- Interest Rate Reduction Sponsor Process (PDF)
- Interest Rate Resets or Bond Remarketing Requirements (Management Memo 07-01) (DOC)
- Lease Rider Estoppel (DOC)
- Loan Closing Requirements (Management Memo 05-2) (DOC)
- Physical Needs Assessment - Fannie Mae Form 4327 (DOC)
- Physical Needs Assessment - Fannie Mae Guidelines (PDF)
- Prevailing Wage Compliance (Management Memo 02-1) (DOC)
- Prevailing Wage Compliance Certificate (DOC)
- Project Construction Sign Requirements
- Project Funding Sources (Construction) (XLS)
- Project Funding Sources (Permanent) (XLS)
- Relocation Plan Implementation Certificate (DOC)
- Request For Funds Form (DOC)
- Utility Allowance Determination (DOC)
- Sponsor Operating Guarantee (PDF)
There are currently no MHP Management Memos on the website at this time.
Training and Technical Assistance
There are currently no MHP Training and Technical resources on the website at this time.