National Housing Trust Fund Program
- Assistance Type and Terms
- Eligible Activities and Applicants
- Get Funding — Current Notice of Funding Availability (NOFA)
- Previous Notices of Funding Availability (NOFAs)
- Reporting Requirements (Asset Management and Compliance)
- Program Forms
- Management Memos
- Training and Technical Assistance
The National Housing Trust Fund (NHTF) is a new federal program administered in California by the Department of Housing and Community Development. For 2016, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) allocated approximately $10.1 million to the State, and all funds must benefit extremely low-income households.
Assist in new construction of permanent housing for extremely low-income households.
A deferred payment loan or forgivable loan. The regulatory agreement will be for 55 years.
Individuals, joint ventures, partnership, limited partnerships, trusts, corporations, limited liability corporations, local public entities, duly constituted governing body of Indian Reservations or Rancherias or other legal entities or any combination thereof that meet program requirements.
Applications will be invited through the issuance of Notices of Funding Availability (NOFAs). NHTF will be paired with another State program in a joint NOFA.
The Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD) will not receive NHTF funds or administer the NHTF program until the Substantial Amendments to the Consolidated and Annual Plan are completed. The public comment period for those amendments has passed. Once the substantial amendments have been approved by HUD, HCD will finalize the eligible activities and other elements of the program to subsequently announce the availability of funding for NHTF. Check HCD’s Consolidated Plan web page and the National Housing Trust Fund Allocation Plan and Substantial Amendment.
You may also subscribe to the Multifamily Housing Programs as well as the National Housing Trust Fund lists to receive notifications of updates and developments to this program.
2016-2017 NOFA (PDF) — 06/05/2018
- Appendix B — Article XXIV (PDF)
- Current NHTF Rent & Income and HOME Subsidy & Value limits (This replaces Appendices C-F)
- Appendix H — Community Needs Scores Table (PDF)
- Appendix I — National Housing Trust Fund Allocation Plan (PDF)
Rental Project Application
- Universal Rental Project Application Form (XLS)
- 2017 UMR Developer Fee Calculation Worksheet (XLS)
- 2017 UMR Supportive Services Fee Calculator (XLS)
Application Workshop Presentations
There are no previous NOFAs listed at this time.
Reporting Requirements (Asset Management and Compliance)
Upon completed construction of your project and closing of your HCD permanent loan, oversight of your project and loan is transferred to HCD’s “Asset Management and Compliance (AMC)” section.
Visit Asset Management and Compliance to find:
- Your reporting requirements
- Additional resources
- Who to contact is you have questions
There are currently no management memos for the NHTF Program on the website at this time.
Training and Technical Assistance
There are currently no NHTF Training and Technical resources on the website at this time.
- State of California 2020-2024 Federal Consolidated Plan – Consolidated Plan approved by HUD.
- Strategic Growth Council AHSC Program website
- AB 32 (Chapter 488, Statutes 2006)
- SB 375 (Chapter 728, Statutes, 2008)
- California Metropolitan Organizations (MPOs) and Regional Transportation Planning Agencies (RTPAs) (PDF)