Supportive Housing Multifamily Housing Program (SHMHP)
- Assistance Type and Terms
- Eligible Activities and Applicants
- Get Funding — Current Notice of Funding Availability (NOFA)
- Workshop Dates and Locations
- Previous Notices of Funding Availability (NOFAs)
- Reporting Requirements (Asset Management and Compliance)
- Program Forms — Including loan closing documents
- Management Memos
- Training and Technical Assistance
To provide low-interest loans to developers of permanent affordable rental housing that contain supportive housing units.
Deferred payment loans
Loans have a 55-year term at three percent simple annual interest. For the first 30 years, annual payments of 0.42 percent of the outstanding principal balance are required. The annual payment for the next 25 years will be set by HCD in year 30, at the minimum necessary to cover HCD monitoring costs. Unpaid principal and interest will be due at the end of the loan term.
SHMHP funds are for permanent financing only, and may be used for new construction or rehabilitation of a multifamily rental housing development, or conversion of a nonresidential structure to a multifamily rental housing development. Eligible use of funds may include, but are not limited to, real property acquisition, refinancing to retain affordable rents, necessary on-site and off-site improvements, reasonable fees and consulting costs, capitalized reserves, facilities for childcare, after-school care, and social service facilities integrally linked to the restricted supportive housing units.
Eligible projects must have a minimum of five supportive housing units, or a minimum of 40 percent of total units must be supportive housing units, whichever is greater, and must have associated supportive services for the intended target population living in the restricted units, pursuant to Health and Safety Code Section 50675.14.
Applications are invited through the issuance of Notices of Funding Availability (NOFAs).
Please be sure you are subscribed to the MHP emailing list to receive notifications and announcements.
- 2018 NOFA (PDF)
- Applications Received — 2018 SHMHP NOFA (PDF)
- Supplemental Application (XLS) — Revised 12/13/2018
- Universal Application (XLS)
- 2018 Regulations
- 2018 Income Limits (PDF)
- 2018 Inital SHMHP Applications and Self-Scores (PDF)
Workshop Dates and Locations
- 2018 SHMHP slide presentation (PDF) — Revised 12/14/2018
There are currently no workshops scheduled for the SHMHP program at this time.
Reporting Requirements (Asset Management and Compliance)
Upon completed construction of your project and closing of your HCD permanent loan, oversight of your project and loan is transferred to HCD’s “Asset Management and Compliance (AMC)” section.
Visit Asset Management and Compliance to find:
- Your reporting requirements
- Additional resources
- Who to contact is you have questions
There are currently no general forms for the SHMHP program on the website at this time.
SHMHP Specific Documents
- Deed of Trust (DOC)
- Promissory Note (DOC)
- Promissory Note Secured by Deed of Trust (DOC)
- Regulatory Agreement (DOC)
- Senior Subordination Agreement (DOC)
- Junior Subordination Agreement (DOC)
Documents Applicable to all NOFAs
- Architect's Completion Certificate (New Construction) (DOC)
- Architect's Completion Certificate (Rehabilitation) (DOC)
- Article XXXIV Guidelines (PDF)
- Bond Financing Term Sheet (DOC)
- Certificate of Completion (DOC)
- Closing Checklist (XLS)
- Cost Cert and Financial Reporting Requirements (DOC)
- Cost Cert Sample Form (XLS)
- Designated Payee Authorization Letter (DOC)
- Insurance Guidelines Checklist (DOC)
- New! Interest Rate Reduction Application Certification (PDF)
- New! Interest Rate Reduction Sponsor Process (PDF)
- Interest Rate Resets or Bond Remarketing Requirements (Management Memo 07-01) (DOC)
- Lease Rider Estoppel (DOC)
- Loan Closing Requirements (Management Memo 05-2) (DOC)
- Physical Needs Assessment - Fannie Mae Form 4327 (DOC)
- Physical Needs Assessment - Fannie Mae Guidelines (PDF)
- Physical Needs Assessment and Replacement Reserve Study Guidelines (PDF)
- Prevailing Wage Compliance (Management Memo 02-1) (DOC)
- Prevailing Wage Compliance Certificate (DOC)
- Project Construction Sign Requirements (DOC)
- Project Funding Sources (Construction) (XLS)
- Project Funding Sources (Permanent) (XLS)
- Relocation Plan Implementation Certificate (DOC)
- Request For Funds Form (DOC)
- Utility Allowance Determination (DOC)
- Sponsor Operating Guarantee (DOC) or (PDF)
There are currently no SHMHP Management Memos on the website at this time.
Training and Technical Assistance
There are currently no SHMHP Training and Technical resources on the website at this time.