Transit-Oriented Development (TOD) Housing Program
ContactApplication, General Program, and Standard Agreements Questions
- Assistance Type and Terms
- Eligible Activities and Applicants
- Webinar Dates
- Get Funding — Current Notice of Funding Availability (NOFA)
- Previous Notices of Funding Availability (NOFAs)
- Reporting Requirements (Asset Management and Compliance)
- Program Forms
- Management Memos
- Training and Technical Assistance
To increase public transit ridership by funding higher density affordable housing developments within one-quarter mile of transit stations and infrastructure improvements necessary for the development of specified housing developments.
Under the program, low-interest loans are available as gap financing for rental housing developments near transit that include affordable units. In addition, grants are available to Localities and transit agencies for infrastructure improvements necessary for the development of specified housing developments, or to facilitate connections between these developments and the transit station.
The maximum Program Rental Housing Development Loan amount awarded for a single Housing Development or to a single Applicant, including any affiliates of such Applicant, is $10 million. The maximum Program Infrastructure Project Grant awarded to a Locality or transit agency Applicant is $5 million. The total maximum award amount for a single Project is $15 million.
To be eligible for funding, a Project must consist of either, or both:
- A Rental Housing Development Project; and/or
- An Infrastructure Project necessary for the development of specified Housing Developments, or to facilitate connections between these Developments and the Transit Station.
Refer to TOD Guidelines for complete description of eligible activities.
Eligible Applicants shall be one of the following:
- Developers for Rental Housing Development Projects,
- Localities (cities and counties) and transit agencies for Infrastructure Projects.
- Round 4 Guidelines (PDF)
- Round 4 Guidelines with Track Changes (PDF)
- Summary of Program Updates (PDF)
- Summary of Public Comments (DOC)
None at this time.
Applications are invited through the issuance of Notices of Funding Availability (NOFAs).
Please subscribe to the TOD emailing list to receive notifications and announcements.
- April 30, 2020 Round 4 NOFA (PDF)
- April 30, 2020 Round 4 NOFA Application - Universal (XLS)
- April 30, 2020 Round 4 NOFA Application - Supplemental (Revised) (XLS)
- Financial Assistance Application Tool (FAAST)
- Financial Assistance Application Tool (FAAST) Instructions for TOD (PDF)
- Resolution Templates
- Resolution Template – Local Public Agency (DOC)
- Resolution Template – Sponsor (DOC)
- Loan Authorization – LP (DOC)
- Questions & Answers (PDF)
- Questions & Answers V.2 (PDF)
- Questions & Answers V.3 (PDF)
- OnTheMap Tool tutorial (YouTube)
- Previous Webinar Presentations
- TOD Applications Received and Self-Scores (PDF)
Reporting Requirements (Asset Management and Compliance)
Upon completed construction of your project and closing of your HCD permanent loan, oversight of your project and loan is transferred to HCD’s “Asset Management and Compliance (AMC)” section.
Visit Asset Management and Compliance to find:
- Your reporting requirements
- Additional resources
- Who to contact if you have questions
NOTE: View sample documents use and liability disclaimer on our Condition of Use page.
TOD Specific Documents
TOD loan closing documents will be available by Round 4 NOFA award date.
Documents Applicable to all NOFAs
- Architect's Completion Certificate (New Construction) (DOC)
- Architect's Completion Certificate (Rehabilitation) (DOC)
- Article XXXIV Guidelines (PDF)
- Bond Financing Term Sheet (DOC)
- Certificate of Completion (DOC)
- Closing Checklist (XLS)
- Cost Cert and Financial Reporting Requirements (DOC)
- Cost Cert Sample Form (XLS)
- Designated Payee Authorization Letter (DOC)
- Insurance Guidelines Checklist (DOC)
- Interest Rate Reduction Application Certification (PDF)
- Interest Rate Reduction Sponsor Process (PDF)
- Interest Rate Resets or Bond Remarketing Requirements (Management Memo 07-01) (DOC)
- Lease Rider Estoppel (DOC)
- Loan Closing Requirements (Management Memo 05-2) (DOC)
- Physical Needs Assessment - Fannie Mae Form 4327 (DOC)
- Physical Needs Assessment - Fannie Mae Guidelines (PDF)
- Prevailing Wage Compliance (Management Memo 02-1) (DOC)
- Prevailing Wage Compliance Certificate (DOC)
- Project Construction Sign Requirements
- Project Funding Sources (Construction) (XLS)
- Project Funding Sources (Permanent) (XLS)
- Relocation Plan Implementation Certificate (DOC)
- Request For Funds Form (DOC)
- Utility Allowance Determination (DOC)
- Sponsor Operating Guarantee (PDF)
At this time, there are no Management Memos for the TOD Program on the website.
Training and Technical Assistance
At this time, there are no TOD Training and Technical resources on the website.
- SB 375 (Chapter 728, Statutes, 2008)
- California Metropolitan Organizations (MPOs) and Regional Transportation Planning Agencies (RTPAs) (PDF)