Mobilehome and special occupancy (RV) parks are required to have an active Permit to operate and collect rent from residents.

Information Bulletins provide additional helpful information about park operation. Check for new bulletins periodically.

A park must secure a permit to operate prior to operating a mobilehome park. The park owner is subject to penalties for failure to submit a permit application, form HCD MP 500 (PDF) more than 30 days after the due date.

Permit to Operate related fees (PTO fees, penalties, change of operator, etc.) can be paid online using HCD’s online fee-payment system. You must have a DTN and a park zip code to make a payment online. This information can be found on your billing summary or by contacting a program representative. Please contact the Permit to Operate desk at or (800) 952-8356 for more details.

Permit to Operate Penalty Fee Waiver

Proposed Regulations

Public comment period: Friday, February 4, 2022, through March 22, 2022

Emergency Regulations

Annual submission of the Private Fire Hydrant Test and Certification Report, form HCD MP 532 (PDF) is required to obtain a permit to operate. All parks must submit this form annually, even parks without fire hydrants or water methods. The public may contact the Permit to Operate desk at or (800) 952-8356 to obtain additional information concerning fire hydrant certification.

Park management must develop an Emergency Preparedness Plan (EPP) to inform residents about what to do in preparation for and in the event of an emergency. The booklet, Emergency Plans for Mobilehome Parks is a guide for preparation of a plan. The EPP is required in order to receive a permit to operate.

Planes de Emergencia para Parques de Casas Móviles, Parte II: Guía de planificación de preparación para desastres dirigida a dueños o residentes de parques de casas móviles (PDF).

If a mobilehome has been abandoned in a mobilehome park, the park owner may dispose of it without paying back taxes and registration. Refer to Information Bulletin 2015-07 (PDF) for additional information.