Park Operation

Information Bulletins provide additional helpful information about park operation. Check for new bulletins periodically.

Permit to Operate

A park must secure a permit to operate prior to operating a mobilehome park. The park owner is subject to penalties for failure to submit a permit application (PDF) more than 60 days after the due date.

Fire Hydrant Certification

Annual fire hydrant testing certification (PDF) is required for a permit to operate. The public may contact the permit to operate desk at or (800) 952-8356 to obtain additional information concerning fire hydrant certification.

Emergency Preparedness

Park management must develop an emergency plan to inform residents about what to do in preparation for and in the event of an emergency. The booklet, Emergency Plans for Mobilehome Parks (PDF) is a guide for preparation of a plan. The plan is required in order to receive a permit to operate.

Planes de Emergencia para Parques de Casas Móviles, Parte II: Guía de planificación de preparación para desastres dirigida a dueños o residentes de parques de casas móviles. (PDF)

Mobilehome Residency Law Protection Act

New! Park Owners/Operators: Beginning January 1, 2019, park operators are required to pay HCD a $10 fee for each permitted mobilehome lot within each mobilehome park. This fee is collected to administer the Mobilehome Residency Law (MRL) Protection Act. The Act established a program to facilitate resolution of MRL disputes between mobilehome/manufactured homeowners and park management.

Beginning July 1, 2020, HCD will provide assistance by taking MRL-related complaints and coordinating assistance to help resolve of the most severe alleged violations that the Department receives. If you have questions about this fee or the Act, please contact HCD at or (800) 952-8356. Please see Information Bulletin 2018-03 for a detailed description of the Act.

Visit the Mobilehome Residency Law Protection Program page for more information.

Mobilehome Park Maintenance Inspections

Visit the Mobilehome Park Maintenance Inspections page for information on how to prepare for a Mobilehome Park Maintenance inspection.

Disposing of Abandoned Homes

If a mobilehome has been abandoned in a mobilehome park, the park owner may dispose of it without paying back taxes and registration. Refer to the information bulletin (PDF) for additional information.