Increasing the availability of housing statewide is critical to bettering the quality of life of all Californians and to ending homelessness. The 2019-2020 Budget Act provided a spectrum of support, incentives, and accountability measures to meet California’s housing goals, and provided for the establishment of the Prohousing Designation Program. The Prohousing Designation Program provides incentives to cities and counties in the form of additional points or other preference in the scoring of competitive housing, community development, and infrastructure programs. HCD established the Prohousing Designation Program to administer these incentives.
Local governments can receive a designation when implementing Prohousing policies and receive an advantage when applying for several funding programs including:
• Affordable Housing & Sustainable Communities (AHSC)
• Infill Infrastructure Grant (IIG)
• Transformative Climate Communities (TCC)
Other programs may be added to the list after HCD engages with stakeholders and partner agencies on adding Prohousing points to other housing and non-housing programs.
Wetlands Classification System (PDF) - Incorporated by reference at Section 6601(a)(9)(C) of the Prohousing Regulation Text
Prohousing Application Resolution (PDF) – Incorporated by reference at Section 6604(c) of the Prohousing Regulation Text; Note: An editable version is also included within the application.
Application Review and Requirements
Eligible applicants are limited to local governments (cities and counties). HCD will begin taking applications over the counter following the adoption of the program’s emergency regulations on June 30, 2021. HCD will review applications within 60 days and provide feedback.
Prohousing Regulation Text (PDF) – Note: Review regulations before beginning an application.
Prohousing Application (DOC)
Prohousing Application Resolution (PDF) – Note: An editable version is also included within the application.
Beginning June 30, 2021:
- Release of Prohousing regulations and application
- Begin over-the-counter reviews of Prohousing applications
- HCD will have 60 days to review and provide feedback
- Applications approved on a rolling basis
- HCD determination of Prohousing-designated jurisdictions released ongoing as applications receive approvals
Ongoing Technical Assistance will be provided for jurisdictions interested in applying. Please contact ProhousingPolicies@hcd.ca.gov to request assistance.
July 2021-June 2022:
- Upon adoption of emergency regulations, HCD will begin normal rulemaking conversion:
June 2022 and Beyond:
- Ongoing Annual Program Revisions
- Incorporate ongoing stakeholder and applicant feedback
- Implement any housing law changes
In addition to the Application Workshops below, HCD will be hosting regional technical assistance workshops at a regional, sub-regional, and county level in the future. If you are not able to attend one of these workshops, there will be additional opportunities to learn about the program and receive assistance on applying. Recordings of workshops will be made available upon workshop completion.
VIRTUAL APPLICATION WORKSHOPS – Register today!
Date: July 29, 2021
Time: 3:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- (7/29/21) Prohousing Designation Program Webinar – How to Apply (YouTube)
- (7/29/21) Prohousing Designation Program Webinar Slides – How to Apply (PDF)