Your Rights as a Mobilehome Park Resident

Mobilehome Residency Law

Many of your rights as a mobilehome park resident are governed by the Mobilehome Residency Law (MRL). The MRL, like provisions of conventional landlord-tenant law, is enforced by the courts; that is, the disputing parties must enforce the MRL against one another in a court of law. The Department of Housing and Community Development does not have authority to enforce these Civil Code provisions. For example, a park owner must utilize an unlawful detainer procedure in a court to evict a homeowner for non-payment of rent or failure to abide by reasonable park rules. By the same token, a manufactured homeowner must bring legal action, in court, to enforce a notice or other MRL requirement, or obtain an injunction, if the management will not otherwise abide by the MRL.

In addition to applicable Civil Code sections (Division 2, Part 2, Chapter 2.5 ), other selected laws not part of the MRL but related to park residency are included in the Mobilehome Residency Law Handbook published by the California Senate Select Committee on Manufactured Home Communities . This includes the Recreational Vehicle (RV) Park Occupancy Law, first enacted in 1979, governing tenancies in RV parks.

Also enclosed are relevant laws on mobilehome resale disclosure, park emergency preparedness plans, mobilehome park polling places, registration and titles, and traffic enforcement in mobilehome parks.

  • Mobilehome Residency Law Handbook (PDF) — Includes: applicable California code sections of law (Civil Code, Elections Code, Vehicle Code, and Health and Safety Code), frequently asked questions, and community resources.
  • Mobilehome Residency Law Protection Program

    Beginning July 1, 2020, HCD began taking MRL-related complaints and coordinating assistance to help resolve the most severe alleged violations that the Department receives. Visit the Mobilehome Residency Law Protection Program page for more information on this new program designed to help resolve certain disputes between mobilehome/manufactured homeowners in mobilehome parks and park owners/management.

    Legal Aid and Other Resources


    Cities and counties often pass local ordinances, such as rent control, noise, and nuisance regulations. Please contact or visit your local city and/or county website for more information.

    State / Federal Departments

    • California Department of Fair Employment and Housing receives and investigates complaints related to housing discrimination.
    • California Public Utilities Commission – For billing, service, and other complaints related to a regulated utility, your first step is to contact the provider directly. If you cannot resolve the problem after talking with the utility’s customer service, you may file an informal complaint with Consumer Affairs Branch.
    • California Department of Consumer Affairs – File a complaint against a licensed professional or business such as a general contractor, carpenter, drywall installation, electrician, etc.
    • California Contractors State License Board – Find or look up a contractor license or Home Improvement Salesperson (HIS) registration or to file a complaint against a contractor or HIS.
    • California Department of Real Estate – Verify a real estate license or file a complaint against a real estate broker and/or salesperson.
    • U.S. Housing and Urban Development Department – For technical assistance on the National Manufactured Housing Construction and Safety Standards Act. The Manufactured Housing Program protects the health and safety of the owners of manufactured (mobile) homes through the enforcement of the federal manufactured home construction and safety standards and administration of dispute resolution.
    • : Online guide to government information and services.

    Private Organizations